Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Friends Never Run Away


Upon completing an intense finals period at the end of my eighth semester of college, I was feeling quite overwhelmed. I decided to take my camera and go primal. Nah, I simply walked down to my favorite spot on campus. The river behind Cole field is beautiful and to be honest, I don't think that many students know that it is there.

I've been going there so often lately, with so many different people. It is astounding just how much that environment is changing as we transition from spring to summer. How metaphorical...

Anyway... there are dandelions everywhere...




Oftentimes were are so deep in our books that we forget to seek out the beauty that surrounds us. This post is an attempt at opening the eyes of those who, like me, are torn between the accomplishments of responsibility and the fulfillment of being in the world.




Splintered by a thunderbolt, or perhaps cracked upon falling, this tree captured my attention for a serious 20 minutes. What you see here is 2.5% of the total amount of pictures I took of this tree. (200!!)






I've really taken sometime to learn the Adobe Lightroom software. I've learned that a picture is not a static object. It is in fact an idea, moldable, bendable, it can be burnt, pierced, hung up, gifted, framed. This concept has truly made the post-processing of these shots an activity that I look forward to doing, even though it is quite painstakingly slow.

For example this fern's original picture had no appeal. After zooming in, sharpening it a bit and composing its highlights and shadows, I was able to bring forth a representation of what originally moved me to capture this shot.


Ultimately, going from detail to grandiose, appreciating the small and the overwhelming, was an important lesson as I explored the campus that I though I already knew so well.


One day, I called up my friend Blair. She is a long distance runner. I had promised to take pictures of her practicing her sport and I am so grateful that we were able to share such a happy afternoon together. Blair has taught me the beauty of selflessness. She is caring and sweet, and overall pure. We are still young, naive, and goofy, but it is her friendship that lets me know that dreaming and reality are in fact not so distant.


"Yo, go over there and just run at me."
"Like this?"

I had never done a runner's photoshoot, and to be honest I thought that everything was gonna be blurry. After all I'm used to capturing landscapes and those just sit there in contemplation most of the time.



Inspired by a magazine (whoa I never thought I would say that) I composed this black and white frame when its colors failed to highlight Blair's running.


obstacle course?


I had a plant up my @ss while I was taking this one. JK. 
Blair, I truly appreciate your effort and charisma while trying to get this shot because for some reason it just wasn't coming out right.  




"Can you make it so we don't see the path?"
"Yeah!!! that would be legit."


The poet in me rises up like a storm as I try to contrast Blair's ferocious speed to the stillness of a spider web connecting leaf and petal.




I'm often not in my pictures, and much less my blog posts. Here I had a beard and silly looking farmer's tan. Blair's idea of capturing the photographer while at work was actually ingenious. How will my photos look once I am bald haired and decrepit? =P



The brick thought it was a root.


"I want to run on that island of rocks!"
UFF!


"Yeah, yeah, yeah!"




That left shoe did not make it...


No biggie. This next one was nice and refreshing. Not only is it a nice place for a run but I was knee deep in cool river water.







While Blair has been running around back and forth, working a sweat because I keep messing up her pictures, I just get to chill in the river.




Make up art: the (in)famous Blair.



We also found a really nice tree to climb on. This place was full of awesomeness.



ugh, almost there!






Conquered!



Shrooms are crazy lookin'



Alice went to Wonderland through the hole in this tree trunk.




She reeeeaaallly wanted to cross. It was reeaaaally nasty!



Picturesque though.




Again the detail, shadow, and color is striking.


I had to get this close (below) to notice that the flowers were full of life (above).





Making those weird sounds with the blades of grass.
We finished the photoshoot on a happy note!


Oh wait, a swing!!




If you know what these are then you and I share a unique sports experience that is only found in the United States. (football practice sled)



"Ok, NOW we are done."


"Wait, sprinklers!" Cool off time!!



Right in the throat, hahaha.


Abs of steel!


What a fun day!


ps- I got completely soaked too and then had to find a way to keep my camera completely dry.
Success story.

No comments:

Post a Comment