Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Relics of Home


Praia do Guincho - June 30, 2014

On the same day that this picture was taken I began a life changing journey. Thanks to the generosity of the Chandler Fellowship fund established at my alma mater, Williams College, I have embarked on a one year long travel experience to study the different cultures and musical styles of some of the most wonderful coastal towns in the world. Inspired by Lisbon's own Fado music, I developed a proposal that will take me to the countries of Cabo Verde, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, and India, and perhaps more, depending on what kind of crazy adventure I suddenly decide to try out!

I feel truly blessed, yet, nostalgic, for the sentiment described by the portuguese word saudade fills me. While at school I was often asked to define what home meant, but I could never give a proper answer. Truly, it can mean many things for different people, but for now what I miss most about "home" are the people who abide there. Friends and family must always be treasured. This year I feel that one of my biggest challenges will be to face loneliness.

On the other hand, I have only been traveling for one week, and I've already learned that all the people I will meet along the way will fill the void of homesickness, and share with me completely new ways to perceive this world.


The horizon_traveler blog will now function as a way to keep the masses (friends and family) in touch with what I am doing, and where. Thank you, whoever is reading, for keeping in touch in this way, and I hope that one day our paths will cross again.

Below are some pictures of the small, truly lived moments that I will look forward to coming back to, those things that I like to call the relics of home.















I would like to send much love to my family who have always supported me and who I truly miss.






No comments:

Post a Comment