Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Eternal Friendship


This is my best friend Rodrigo. We have kept in contact during these 8 years we have been apart. He is studying Medicine and when he wishes to take a break, he brings out his guitar and sings a few tunes to decompress. When I found out that he could play, all we wanted to do was jam. He sings and plays incredibly well. He keeps saying that Medicine fills his time, and that his brain has no space for much more than the incredibly hard studies he is undertaking. Oh by the way, in Portugal you go immediately to Med School, if you get in, as opposed to doing a pre-med track and then another 4 years.

We had a burger by the beach. The burger had nothing in it except bun and meat... but the quality of the meat was simply superb, which made up for the fact that I only had Heinz to accompany my meal.
Then, we had dinner at his house. His sister is unrecognizably grown up, and his parents are simply WONDERFUL! His mother works in the Museum of Portuguese Music and was extremely excited about my change of track from chemistry to ethnomusicology.

Since he wasn't shadowing the next day, we decided to hangout then too.
__________________________________________________________________

To start the day off right, I had a cereal I had been longing for...


The breakfast of champions! Now I understand why the dog has that face. It was the same exact one I had when I poured my milk and had my spoon in hand. The milks taste different in Portugal and the United States. It is probably due to the way they process it. It is better here in my opinion. I simply love it. My grandparents still find it strange when I have milk with dinner...and lunch...and breakfast...and throughout the day... but specially at dinner.

Rodrigo and I decided to visit his old school. There was some kind of "happening" happening.



There was something about this tree being pre-historic and having been peed on by a triceratops a long time ago.


If my friend Muzhou had been with us he would have tied his hands behind his back, asked me to blindfold him, and he would probably have climbed this with his teeth - no problem.


The "campus"...


I was amazed by the student's art work.





Hahahaha, Hulk Hogan as portrayed by a 10th grader


Oh yes, there was also a fashion show from all the different schools in the district. My favorite, and probably everyone else's too, was this little boy who had a lot of SWAG!


There was also horseback riding.



Some creepy mascots...


and a lot of noise!!!


We left to go to the beach so that we could...


chill and jam. Rodrigo's friend Inês joined us for the rest of the afternoon.


Overall it was a beautiful, relaxed day.

Below I was playing with some of the new camera's settings and since I take a picture of my grandparent's balcony almost every day, I decided to post these. They show how much a single view can really change.