Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

10, 10, 74

Rodrigo (left) and João (right) are cousins. They were born two days apart on July 11th and 13th respectively. The last time I saw them they were in my arms and were no larger than the puppy João is holding.

"Hello, my name is Snoopy, and I am the coolest birthday present a 10 year-old could ever receive."


In the rural areas it is often likely that puppies or kittens will be gifted to families because no one can handle 8 dogs. This year João got lucky.

The other "coolest gift of the day" was the matraquilhos table.
Since I became obsessed with playing, I would take any competition that was willing to play. Even if they weren't tall enough to see over the table.


When all the kids began to arrive the artist on scene began face painting.


The pictures of the art work will show up here and there according to when each was finished.


This is the place where I spent my childhood days.



Birthday boy protecting the puppy from the onslaught of kids who kept wanting to pick it up and play with it. Yes, he is indeed inside a doll's play house, hiding.



My godmother, Lurdes and and our friend Paula.


First layer.


The finished product.


"I am so sneaky... oh snap, I've been spotted."




Monkey see, monkey do. After the first girl above, all the other girls wanted this blue pattern.


I tried improving this picture but I needed it bright for the light to come true. Any one willing to offer me photoshop for Christmas? If not, I'll settle with a puppy too.




Mother and son, letting them all go through.


More painting.







The group!


The birthday boy's mother showing off her super nasty skills at forward.


Diogo and Canada girl Lisa. Never have I ever been called "Hey, American" until I met her. I kinda liked it. Diogo used to be a tough cookie when we were young, but now that we are all grown up he has become a cool cookie.


"No I'm right."
"No, you are definitely wrong."
"You are all wrong. This is how it is..."


Love, love this.


and this!

"My turn for some spa treatment. Don't touch my face!"


Epic food, epic cook, epic picture. Isidro, birthday boy's father.


My corner of happiness. Yes that IS mud pie.


The simple cane hung on a tree captured my attention for about half an hour.



The only way to get people to stand together for this picture was to steal Snoopy and have the kids come try to touch him.


"Yeah! My party rocks."


"Don't forget me! It's my birthday too!"


This is cool.



The third birthday was of Luis, grandfather of the cousins. Here he sits with my godmother. He is the 74 part of the title. His birthday is the 12th of July. 11,12,13


On the way to the second birthday party, Rodrigo's, we stopped by the bridge over looking Ferreira do Zezere river. One of my favorite things to do as a kid was to drive by this river and repeatedly yell out "water" look to the other side of the bridge and say "water". I would do this as fast as possible constantly changing sides until the we crossed the bridge.





One of the few pictures I let someone take of me. Obviously rocking Williams gear (shorts and undies).


When you get lost driving in Portugal, this is what happens.


This is Batalha. A beautiful church. I may be visiting it again soon.


 Finally at Rodrigo's party. I arrived ready to refill my already full stomach. We must make the most out of every opportunity.


He likes soccer, playing guitar, and is in the scouts, thus...



PS - on the left, tigeladas, my favorite Portuguese pastry. I ate 3/4 of that plate. On the right pasteis the nata and other good stuff. 1/2 of this plate also disappeared mysteriously.