Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

Florida - A Summery Winter Study

Winter Study - a blissful month in the year (January) when Williams students get to experience school in a whole new way. Usually a student stays at Williams, takes an interesting course and enjoys the snow. Some students enroll in travel courses. This year myself and three others enrolled in MUS 25. We are spending our winter term in Florida to study an extinct civilization, the Calusa, while responding to what we learn with a creative project.

My project revolves around the theme of a documentary. Along with keeping up with this blog as part of my travel experiences, I will practice guitar and hopefully do some video work.

For Christmas I was gifted some money that helped me invest in a travel guitar. This is my new Washburn Rover, and I LOVE it!!


January 3rd, I am packed and ready to go.


For this trip I borrowed some camera lenses from school. I have a Nikkor 18-105mm, I borrowed a 12-24 wide lens, and the amazing Lensbaby Muse, which is a lens with a special purpose.

The Lensbaby allows the photographer to compose intricate shots by taking advantage of a movable lens that changes the focus point (called the sweet spot) and blurs all else. It is completely manual so I took some time today to practice with it around our new house. I should add that I had previously seen the Lensbaby in highschool and never got to use it, so that's why I am so excited.



Pine Island is full of private canals.


Palm trees and 70 degree weather!



Our new abode!


The back yard



Front porch




Back of the house


Initially we thought that Byron had travelled with his TV!!



Only later did we know that it was the keyboard he will use for his music composition project.
Focused detail shot with the Lensbaby.



Jessica is boiling water and helping me practice.




Byron and I brought a lot of toys! Keyboard, laptops, video camera, lenses, external hardrive.


We did some afternoon reading.


Mixed effects of reflection, blur, and inversion.


Katie joins us after her nap.













At this point I was so happy and grateful, it was as if Heaven had come down to Earth.



Chillin' on the dock.


I would never have taken this picture unless I had the lensbaby. Great new perspective.


The first sunset in Florida.




Check out my next post! I cooked salmon for the first time by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment