Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

A day of remembrance

There is no doubt that I got LUCKY with my 20D assigned flight seat.


 I had enough leg room to build a house and live in it! It was so wonderful. Then, out of nowhere, and I stress this "nowhereness" because there is not enough space for a kitchen on these planes, they brought me this delicious cheesecake that led me to melt into a very needed slumber of bliss. 

I later found out that the cheesecake had been carved out of the Atlantic Ocean clouds we had just been flying over.
________________________________________________

After 5h40min and some wasted time being lost in baggage claim, I had the very first sight of home on this side of the horizon: my grandparents were waiting for my arrival and it was a beautiful encounter.

 The first thing to notice was obviously the smell of Portugal. After 8 years of American naturale, I was not gonna budge on my belief that Portugal would have its distinct smell, which it did. I then spent some time drooling over my own fascination/ignorance for not realizing that every car was going to be so much smaller in Europe, that most road signs were blue, and that driving distances were so short, that I barely had time to look out the taxi window. I wish I could have Mike's Toyota Tundra to ride over some of these "road bumps" we call cars here.

Conversation in Portuguese is fluid and effortless. I believe that as my speaking and writing in english developed with school, it helped me embellish how I communicate in any language. Portuguese in this case was simply beautiful and mesmerizing to listen to. 

When I heard the name "Lisboa" my heart melted...
Also, my name is no longer confused with Rogue, PAdro, Pay-dro (chill nickname I must admit), and it is pronounced effortlessly and without all the social, racial, and ethnological associations that it is subjected to in da States.

... Since it is getting late and I just had an adjustment day, and I haven't taken all that many pictures, and since I will have more first impressions to write tomorrow (after I have had some time to dream) , I will now leave you with some shots that I could not resist taking today as I wondered.

 Unfolding memories

Walking the rocks of inspiration

The birthstone of a writer

 As the soul experiences, the mind and the body live dreams...
 here we see a wind whisper, submerged in the horizon waters.


PS: Today's sunset was a bit special...